Re: Despeckle

Jon Winters wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, Martin Weber wrote:
>
> ? I need a better Despecling filter than the median filter. Can anyone help?
>
> How about the Despeckle filter, have you tried it?

I believe he's used it, and is trying to improve it.

Martin...
    Have you experimented with low pass filters?  In point, it would seem that
you could use an adaptive low pass filter patterned off of other adaptive
smoothing filters.  The basic principle is to change the scale of the filter
according to the magnitude of the second derivative (Del^2 operator).  So
you run a windowed low pass filter over the image, and use the second
derivative to adjust the scale so that you don't smooth out large features.

Mike