Re: gimp patch 1.1.32-1.2.0 [Also: Re: cmon guys, no patch from 1.1.32 to 1.2??]

jsr@xxxxxx wrote:

> I got off my lazy arse and made a patch. I have no idea
> whether I did things correctly, I just downloaded the gimp-
> 1.1.32.tar.bz2 and gimp-1.2.0.tar.bz2 files, unpacked them,
> did diff -u -r gimp-1.1.32 gimp-1.2.0 >gimp-patch, then
> bzip2'd that.
>
> It's 534kb, and you can download it from
> http://nova.student.utwente.nl/tc/gimp-patch-1.1.32-
> 1.2.0.bz2
>
> Merry Christmas,
>
> Lourens

Commendable, and in keeping with the spirit of the season.
Thank you.

Personally, I would strongly urge anyone desiring to support a
Gnome or GNU/Linux project to learn about CVS.
See http://cvsbook.redbean.com.

The tarballs and patch-sets are really meant for end-users
who prefer to compile from source, but don't otherwise
desire to get involved in maintenance and so don't have
a strong motivation to keep a bleeding-edge source tree
around. Patch sets are published with this laid-back
attitude in mind, They lack the CVS administrative files
which is a pity (but then, CVS admin directories don't
always transplant themselves effortlessly. They depend
on the context of particular users on particular clients
using particular CVS servers)

After the initial working directory download
(which can be painful on a slow, intermittent connection,
but not prohibitive -- see below) keeping a working CVS
directory current is painless, *especially* if one has a slow
or intermittent connection. With  CVS update, the server
sends patches,  not whole files, and  per-patch compression
somewhat lowers the absolute amount of bits to transfer
(Steinar notes this could be better - agreed, but while the
compressor could optimize across the entire patch set, it
would not be as graceful in recovering if the connection
dropped) Should a connection drop, the CVS client and
server pickup can pick up where they left  off -- check-
pointing is an adjunct process to synchronizing
a working tree with the repository. In  contrast, not all
ftp servers support restarting in an analogous way.

And as for time, one can set up a cron job to do nightly
syncs when one is asleep or otherwise occupied with
something else, so it just happens that the tree is updated
when you awake or come back to work. (with a little
extra cleverness, the job can be written to restart dropped
connections). Across the three or four projects I'm interested
in, a weekly CVS hookup is generally complete in about
fifteen to twenty minutes. (36K modem). Clearly, I could
reduce the connect time if I synced nightly (fewer deltas).

Apart from that, you have the CVS utilities available to
access file update logs, find out who committed what, when
and where, and other whatnot (Such information is also
avalable from http://cvs.gnome.org/bonsai as well for many
gnome projects). Most of all, you are liberated from wondering
if a patch set matches a code base, since your CVS working
directory and the repository it is associated with have per-file
version granularity.

See http://www.gimp.org/devel_cvs.html

My two U. S. cents

Garry