Re: [Uwe Koloska] Menus/shortcuts/etc

I had to laugh about this one for a little bit:

> we must think about the Unix way! Being inspired by MacOS, BeOS, NextStep
> and even WinXX but finding a truly Unix solution.
You mean, we must create hundreds of inconsistent versions of the same
thing, make it outrageously difficult for users to learn, and keep making
new incompatible revisions?  Isn't that truly the Unix way? :0

On a serious note, some things you mention are correct - that a lot of
menu issues would have to be handled by GTK instead of having anything to
do with Gimp.  However it is important to bring these issues up now, while
gtk 1.3 is still in development before being released as stable version,
so that things could be implemented.

> And BTW must be synched between gnome and kde (aka gtk+ and qt)!
QT is light years better than GTK or any other Linux GUI toolkit when it
comes to usability.  Sure, it's more "Windified" as you refer to it, but
we can't simply reject something because it looks or works like Microsoft
software.  QT infact has all these keyboard shortcuts, and they are
automatic as part of building the menu (in GTK, too but not nearly as
intuitive), and it handles things like repeats of the same shortcut key
result in cycling through the menu items instead of invoking the first
one, etc.  GTK just needs to catch up, as soon as developers realize that
keyboard navigation is pretty important.

tc

--
     timecop at japan.co.jp | OA通信サビース株式会社 | NTT DoCoMo