suggestion for gimp 1.3 and later

I think it would be a good idea to add a grid function like some other
programs have.  It is hard to work with a guide grid at 10 pixels or
something toggled visibly on and I don't think it snaps quite the same
as a grid.  So what about a grid that could be toggled on and off at a
varying width where something could NOT be placed other than with
starting and/or ending points on the grid.  Like if a layer is moved or
a selection it snaps in units of 10 and never lands in between.  Also so
the grid is not visible and can be started from a set point.
My apologies for not being able to create this function myself, but I am
not able to program.

Also, is there any way to make dialogs so we can copy-paste from them?
I at least can't seem to with my wacom.  This would be nice for error
msgs, author e-mails, etc.
Thanks!
bex