Re: exec-prefic in systemwide gimprc

Sven Neumann <sven@xxxxxxxx> writes:
> Hi,
>
> Sascha Luedecke <luedecke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > I have a multiplatform installation of gimp.  Though one can specify
> > --prefix and --exec-prefix to configure the sources and thus the
> > installation, the separation is not 100% clean.
> >
> > The file
> >
> >         <sharedprefix>/etc/gimp/1.1/gimprc
> >
> > contains the hardcoded exec-prefix which IMHO is a bad thing, since it
> > will be set to the last platform one installed GIMP for.  GIMP then
> > cannot load plugins when started on a different platform.
> >
> > My workaround is to define system specific aliasesÖ
> >
> >         gimp --system-gimprc <syst dep. rgimprc>
> >
> > and maintain two gimprcs.
> >
> > I think this should be changed.  What is your opinion?
>

> Could you please explain how this should be changed in your
> opinion.

> IMO we do The Right Thing (TM): system-dependent configuration
> files are stored in ${sysconfdir}/etc. Your workaround looks
> like a very clean way of handling multiple installations and
> I do not see what gimp could do to make it more convenient.

At my site, the system-dependent configuration files (i.e. gimprc)
is always stored in <prefix>/etc/... instead of <exec-prefix>/etc.
Though my workaround really does its job, I have to alias manually and
for each platform I install.

IMHO it would be much more convenient, if I can just do "make
install", append <exec-prefix>/bin dir to PATH on each platform and
forget about gimprc.  This was what I expected and what works with
many software packages.

Besides that, my workaround requires that I maintain gimprc files for
each platform, just to set the value of exec-prefix.  Changes to other
variables must be done in each gimprc.  IMHO this tends to be an error
prone process.

Moving the gimprc into a platform dependent directory would be a first
shot solution, but one still must maintain several gimprc files.  A
better solution might be to take the value for exec-prefix from an
environment variable or from the binary itself (is this possible?).

Regards,
Sascha

--
| luedecke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  |