Re: compile gimp-1.1.26 (error)

On Fri, Sep 29, 2000 at 09:54:50PM +0100, Dominic Knight <dom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Could you send me the output of
>
> I've had a good play around and fixed gimp-1.1.26 by installing zlib and zlib
> development (is it used for PNG compression ?), either this wasn't required
> previously  as 1.1.25 compile still works or (bear with me),

I am quite sure that this couldn't be the reason for gimp-perl working
again, so either it was some cruft from earlier releases or the big is
still hiding somewhere.

> I just installed Mandrake 7.1 which was given away free on Linux Magazine
> in the United Kingdom. While it was an install I retained /opt/ directory on my
> HD this is where previous gimp tars are installed. I don't think I did a  make
> distclean before  make  so it (gimp-1.1.25) may have been configged slightly
> differently (this box was running mandrake 7.0 + development updates previously)
> but it did build and works so I guess it didn't require zlib.

the gimp configure.in checks for libz and disabled png automatically - you
do not happen to have a configure output from the non-working version? ;)

> As there are going to be a fair number of UK people using this distribution it's
> probably worth a mention on the lists as an answer from a maintainer (after
> testing my answer of course). In the next release is it possible to test for
> zlib if its going to be required ?

It shouldn't be required ;) Anyway, I forwarded your mail to
gimp-developers, maybe someone spots the obvious thing.

Thanks for testing!

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /       pcg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx |e|