Re: Using Gimp as HB's imaging library.

On Thu, Sep 28, 2000 at 11:42:08PM -0500, Alejandro Forero Cuervo <bachue@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I used the Lisp bindings to make Lisp programs that generate images
> through Gimp.  I fell in love with that feature.

gimp has lisp bindings? didn't know that ;)

> to be able to have HB generate images on the fly.  Basically, I want
> them to be able to write Lisp (or it could be Perl) scripts inside the
> HB files and have them handled by Gimp to generate images and use them.

At the moment, perl has by far the best interface to communicate with
already running gimp instances (or starting a new one). It is possible
(but requires coding) to use the perl-server for other languages than
perl, but I that's a serious task.

> For example, they can write some simple Lisp code such that given the
> current day time, Gimp generates a nice image displaying that
> information.  Another example is making Lisp code to display an access
> counter.

You might also want to experiment in writing scripts that would be tacked
onto the comamndline of the gimp (I think there is no way to get arbitrary
scheme scripts executed).

> I briefly looked at libgimp's documentation but couldn't find a
> function to do that.  I don't want to have my C code generate the
> images directly (I mean, I do not want to make my own parser) but
> rather use the parser for Lisp code that comes with Gimp.

AFAIK if there is a lisp plug-in/interface, it does not come with
the gimp. scheme comes close to lisp, so I guess you mean scheme
instead? You can easily write your own scheme script, dump it into your
~/.gimp/plug-ins (using gimptool!) and then restart gimp to use it, if
that suffices for you.

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /       pcg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx |e|