Re: 3D paint interface.

On Tue, 19 Sep 2000, Tom Rathborne wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 04:24:35PM -0500, Stephen J Baker wrote:
> > I'm one of the developers working on the PrettyPoly 3D modeller
> > (http://prettypoly.sourceforge.net) and we have been talking about
> > building a 3D texture painting system into our tool.
>
> I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet:
>     http://home.t-online.de/home/uwe_maurer/texpaint.htm
>
> Not nearly as advanced as what you're talking about but it looks
> fairly useful. I've never tried it.

It neatly exhibits the exact thing we are trying to fix...when
he paints the word 'GIMP' on the guy's chest, the letters come
out rather distorted...because he's painting them in texture
coordinates.  The approach we'd like to use would allow you to
draw the letters directly onto the guy's chest - and have them
look nice in 3D (although horribly distorted in the main GIMP
window).

Obviously there are some problems even with what I propose -
If I do the lettering using GIMP's text tool, it'll still
be distorted in 3D.  Brush shapes will similarly distort.

Ultimately, I'd like to have several GIMP canvases open
at once - one for each of several texture maps used in
the 3D model - and be able to paint smoothly across
texture map boundaries.  I realise that's even harder
than the original idea...so I'd like to take it one
small step at a time.

Anyway, it looks like I should wait for GIMP 2.0.

----
Science being insufficient - neither ancient protein species deficient.

Steve Baker                      (817)619-2657 (Vox/Vox-Mail)
L3Com/Link Simulation & Training (817)619-2466 (Fax)
Work: sjbaker@xxxxxxxx           http://www.link.com
Home: sjbaker1@xxxxxxxxxxx       http://web2.airmail.net/sjbaker1