Re: gradients and pre-multiplied alpha

On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 02:34:08PM +0200, Mattias Engdegård replied to
me, saying:
> >Make a custom gradient that is white on one end and transparent on the
> >other.  (Go on, use the RGBA 0, 0, 0, 0 option provided on the menu.)
>
> This could be remedied by allowing the gradient editor to use alpha=0 with
> colours other than black. I have sometimes been forced to edit gradient
> files manually for this.

Heavens, there's no need to edit the gradient file manually.  You can
easily use the colorselector the gradient editor supplies to set the RGB
values independant of the alpha value, to make RGBA 1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 0.
However, you have to first recognize the necessity of doing this.  So
you can call it an education issue, if you like.  One that's easy to get
confused about, since all fully-transparent "colours" *look* the same,
and so "why can't I just use the transparent color from the pop-up
menu?"

Then on Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 06:33:09PM +0100, Nick Lamb wrote:
> Pre-multiplying is a performance hack only, please don't let people
> think of it as something that will cure "black fringes" -- it won't.
> Perhaps that wasn't your intention, but in any case...

Well, yes, that was my intention, actually.  The basis for my thinking
comes from something Raph sent me when I asked when it is and is not
desirable for plug-ins to work in premultiplied alpha space.