please help (GIMP user)

I dont know who else to ask for gimp help, so I am writing to this address.

When I want to paint/fil using a pattern, it wont work. I choose the pattern, and the tool I think is the right one, and go and try and draw with the said pattern on the picture, but it wont let me. It shows the tool and a circle with a diaganal line through it as a pointer. Is there are right and wrong way to try and draw using a pattern? Apart from that gimp is perfect and I love it. I have the windows version of it, from moochers.com. Hope you can help, because the help files that gimp comes with (and the help at your site) doesnt give me a a clue to what I am doing wrong.

Thankyou,
        Michelle MacWhirter, Auckland, New zealand.