Re: Configure --with-mp=yes Who wants it?

On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 04:30:34PM +0000, Jay Cox <jaycox@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If those of you with MP machines could beat on it for a while and report back how
> it works
> for you I would appreciate it.

I built --with-mp=yes since about it was created (but disabled
--enable-threads quite quickly ;), and the only problems I do get a
*lot* is indeed refresh problems. I can't say I ever get a visible speed
improvement (I do have a dual-cpu machine).

I'll try without-mp ASAP.

> I don't think we should remove MP mode quite yet, but I am rather biased.

Well, I originally thought that --enable-threads (a misnomer, as it
enabled async io of sorts) would be a very good idea as well. And it still
is, but it never ever worked, so it got disabled (or even removed?).

So if we can't get it wto work it should be disabled, but I don't think it
should be removed, as it did quite good generally. Some profiling would
help gimp a lot (in general), so we shouldn't look too much about the
actual speed until we optimized the gimp a lot.

(Yes, I wanted to do that... if I had time... sorry...)

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /       pcg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx |e|