Plugins - what they can and cannot do.

I was recently looking at the possibility of a gimp tile editor.  After looking in to it I have
found that this is really quite difficult to do with the plugin api.

As far as I can see it would be possible but at the user end it would be messy.

The plugin would have to create a new canvas, then allow the user to draw on this and then read back
from the canvas. (and possibly destroy it).

Non editible sections of the image could be protected by being put in a seperate layer.  The user
could change layers by using a menu on the plugin.

My main concern is that there is no way (as far as I know) to prevent the user using the layer menu,
to bypass all of this.

Is what I am saying making sense?
Has anyone else encountered this problem?
Thanks
David