Re: Bluesky ideas of the week

On Mon, Aug 14, 2000 at 09:03:30AM +0100, Adam D. Moss wrote:
> Tom Rathborne wrote:
> > Corel's PhotoPaint program is a full GIMP-like paint program
>
> I'm pretty sure that what you saw was probably Corel Painter, not
> Corel PhotoPaint.  Corel Painter was bought from MetaCreations and
> was better-known as Fractal Painter in the 'old days'.  It has also
> supported network-painting for a long time.  I don't know if they
> intend it to supercede PhotoPaint (that would be fine if it means a
> better chance of seeing a Linux version).

Ahh, I didn't realize Corel had bought Painter ... so now the name
"Network Painter" makes more sense!

> > I agree that it would get messy - the stuff I saw on the screen
> > was obviously the result of a bunch of clashing artists. I think
> > the full power of the GIMP would be useful in many networked
> > situations:
>
> I agree, although usefulness is a secondary consideration to me.
> I'll take fun over usefulness most days.  Having both is just a
> bonus.  =)

Now now ... that's exactly the attitude that has got the GIMP the
interface it has today.
    ... and I love it! :)

> > If UI stuff was also transmitted then it would be a _great_ remote
> > teaching tool.
>
> I don't know what the actual mechanism for Painter's network-
> painting is, but I understand that it works perfectly nicely over
> modem.  Hence I assume that they try to avoid sending actual pixmap
> data as much as possible!

As long as both images are sharing the same random number stream, two
GIMPs should be able to duplicate each other's rendering exactly. So,
in that diagram of all the components of GIMP 2.0, each edge should
probably be considered a candidate for "networking".

Tom

--
--   Tom Rathborne     tomr@xxxxxxxxxxxx     http://www.aceldama.com/~tomr/
--  "We promise according to our hopes, and perform according to our fears."