Re: 32-bit images in gimp - Alpha handling wrong?

Marc Lehmann wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 11:18:27PM +1000, David Hodson <hodsond@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > It's arguable that the information isn't there to start with.
>
> No:

No? If I render an object, and the edge of that object only covers
half of a pixel, why does it need more than half the colour range?
(This is getting a little off-topic, really.)

> 1. image loading and saving
> 2. internal data storage
> 3. composition algorithms

> It seems to me that we could agree on 1. being an interface issue and 2.
> being opaque to the user.

OK then, if I bow to the prevailing wisdom, what it boils down to
is that I could load an image file containing pre-multiplied alpha
without being asked if the alpha should be un-multiplied. (Although
I still think there's a useful distinction between pre-mult alpha
and non-mult masks, and I would like to load an rgba image into
Gimp and then add a mask layer.)

A quick glance at the targa file spec reveals nothing about the
intended meaning of the rgba data.

--
David Hodson  --  hodsond@xxxxxxx  --  this night wounds time