Re: The undo stack does not record some changes in layer attributes

On Tuesday, 6 Jun 2000, Raphael Quinet wrote:

> I re-discovered an old problem with these scripts: some operations on
> the layers are not recorded on the undo stack.  If I am not mistaken,
> these operations are:
> - toggling the visibility of a layer,
> - toggling its "preserve trans." flag,
> - changing its opacity.

And also changing the layer mode, if I remember correctly.

I'm pretty sure I posted about this a while ago, but no-one seemed too
concerned at the time, and I wasn't sure if these were operations
people expected to be undoable.

At the time I was concerned because changing these parameters changes
the on-disk representation of the XCF file, but doesn't dirty the
image.  If you dirty the image, you must push an undo due to the way
the dirty counter works (it counts the number of undo actions since
the image was clean).  So, the only was to set the dirty flag was to
push an undo.  But, I wasn't sure that these operations should be
undoable.  At the time, I don't think anyone had any views, so I
dropped the issue.

Now, you're telling me these actions should be undoable: great - that
solves several problems :)

Anyone else want to comment at this stage?  As a user, would _you_ get
confused when you hit undo and all that changes is (eg) the layer
opacity?

Austin