Re: gimp-plugin-template questions

On Tue, May 30, 2000 at 12:06:58PM +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:
> > What is the purpose of including src/plugin-intl.h in the template?
> > Does #include "plugin-intl.h" do something
> > that #include <libgimp/gimpintl.h> does not?
>
> Yes, a lot!
> [...]
> I'd suggest you take a short look into plugin-intl.h, it should be
> self-explanatory.

Ok, the reason I asked was because it did not appear to need any
customization for the individual plug-in.  But looking closer, I suppose
this is because it relies on the macro PLUGIN_NAME being defined, which
is set in the individual plug-in distribution...

btw- the plugin-intl.h in the template calls itself "freetype-intl.h" in
the comments at the top ;)

> > How are individual user installations supposed to work?  (is there a
> > target that installs to ~/.gimp?)
>
> I don't think so. Do we need to add that?

Well, the usual way for people to install plug-ins they downloaded has
been "gimptool --install" (or "gimptool --install-bin" called by the
Makefile), which installs to the gimp directory in $HOME.  So I think
that is the expectation based on Gimp history.  And unless we have
decided that everyone who uses gimp is either a sysadmin or on a
single-user box, it makes sense to keep that behaviour.

> > are config.sub and guess necessary for most plug-ins?
>
> AFAIK they are necessary if you want to use configure.

Hmm.  I had a configure.in which ran without these...  on the other
hand, that didn't work very well which is why I switched to the way the
template has it.  ;)  It is just that I feel silly having so many bytes
used for the auto* when the plug-in needs no system-dependent changes...
If we could get a template with working i18n without auto*, I would
happily use that, but all gettext docs I have read say "use autostuff".
:(

Also, are there some packaging-people who could add an rpm spec file and
a debian/ directory to the template?

Thanks,
 - Kevin

--