Re: Quick Keys getting stuck

On Mon, 22 May 2000, "Garry R. Osgood" <gosgood@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Offhand I agree with Sven that #6415 was a "convenient" bug (see bug
> report), but appropriate "mode" indicia is called for, I lack the
> imagination to design what it could be.
>
> But for those who regard this as a bug, has anyone given thought to
> mapping XWindow LeaveNotify to the same (or similar) logic invoked
> by releasing the contol key *in* the image window? (turning it into
> a kind of default control key release...) Offhand -- again! --
> this would provide a basis for fixing the bug, and those of us who
> regard it a "feature" could invoke Yet Another Preference Toggle
> Button (!) to disable the LeaveNotify addenda.

Hmmm...  I don't think that dropping the modifiers (Shift, Ctrl, Alt)
as soon as you leave the window would be a good idea.  Very often, I
want to select a perfect square or circle that extends beyond the
edges of the image window.  If you drop the modifiers as soon as you
get a LeaveNotify event, then it would be impossible to make these
selections.  Also, if several windows overlap on your screen, then
accidentally moving the pointer over the corner of another window
(even for a fraction of a second) would mean that you would
immediately loose your selection.

I am just thinking about a solution that might work without requiring
a pointer grab: whenever the app gets a LeaveNotify event, save the
state of the modifiers.  Later, when the app gets an EnterNotify
event, compare the state of the modifiers with the saved state.  If
the states differ, then perform the required actions.

-Raphael