Re: Is "Add alpha channel" really necessary?

quinet@xxxxxxxxxx (Raphael Quinet) writes:

> [about not making background special wrt alpha]
>
> What do you think?

YES please. this is simply annoying.

> I would even go as far as removing the "Add Alpha Channel" option from
> the menus, and suggest that the prefered method to add transparency to
> an image that has only one layer is to add a new layer, even if it is
> deleted immediately.  This is not worse than the method used now by
> some users (duplicate and delete the original) and I think that it
> would be more intuitive to some users.

I would say, simply make a layer by default have alpha always... I
know I know it's more memory for that 0.001 % of cases where people
start with one background layer and stick to one the whole time,
without using alpha....

        jtl