Re: EPIPE

   Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 19:15:57 -0500 (CDT)
   From: Tim Mooney <mooney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
   cc: Raphael Quinet <quinet@xxxxxxxxxx>, gimp-developer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

   In regard to: Re: EPIPE, Michael Natterer said (at 12:40am on May 11, 2000):

   >This is what currently happens (ok, it happens in the handler, but
   >WNOHANG *should* be absolutely safe).  However, a signal handler
   >can do whatever it likes with the app's structures as long as it
   >uses atomic data access (which can be a pointer, as pointers have
   >the same size as integers, which are atomic. This is true at least
   >on all processors which have a GNU libc port and finding a
   >processor where pointers are not atomic looks very unlikely to
   >me).

   Finding a processor/OS combo where sizeof(pointer) != sizeof(int) is pretty
   easy, however.  How does this change your thinking?

For example, UltraSPARC in 64-bit mode under Solaris.

--
Robert Krawitz <rlk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>      http://www.tiac.net/users/rlk/

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Project lead for The Gimp Print --  http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net