Re: gimp_ui_init @ 8bpp

On 26 April, 2000 - Michael Natterer sent me these 1.1K bytes:

> Tomas Ogren wrote:
> >
> > On 24 April, 2000 - Michael Natterer sent me these 2.2K bytes:
> >
> > > I propose the following solution:
> > >
> > > 1. default to install_cmap == FALSE in gimprc
> > > 2. remove color_cube from gimprc
> > > 3. add a min_colors parameter to gimprc
> > > 4. in the gimp app, install a private colormap if GdkRGB cannot allocate
> > >    at least min_colors colors _or_ if install_cmap is TRUE.
> >
> > Due to a bug in GdkRGB (fixed in cvs, not in any release) you have to
> > truncate the min_colors to max 6*6*6 or else GdkRGB will break.. And you
> > don't have to do the allocation check yourself, GdkRGB tries with a new
> > colormap if it can't meet the min_colors req.
>
> So the best thing is probably to remove install_cmap from gimprc and
> have only a min_colors options.

install_cmap works.. min_colors(256) which the docs used to say doesn't
work (except for cvs gtk+). As long as Gimp depends on the unreleased
1.2.8 or truncates the min_colors setting from gimprc to max 6*6*6,
there shouldn't be a problem AFAIK. I don't really know how the plugins
are supposed to find gimp-core's colormap other than using the same
settings...

I'd like to keep install_cmap ... so you can keep the default colormap
"free" if you want..

/Tomas
--
Tomas Ögren, stric@xxxxxxxxxx, http://www.ing.umu.se/~stric/
|- Student at Computing Science, University of Umeå