Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 21:47:08 +0100
From: Nick Lamb <njl98r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Sven Neumann <neumanns@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Export behaviour for fully transparent backgrounds

On Tue, Apr 11, 2000 at 04:38:30PM +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Because I think this is a very PNG-centric problem. There might be other
> fileformats that could benefit from setting invisible parts to a uniform
> color

Yes, probably TIFF, SGI, TGA and XCF for a start, likely also CEL
and various other less common standards. In all of them it would have
to be optional (there can be reasons to preserve R,G,B when A == 0)
and we'd end up implementing this several times :(

> but PNG seems to be the only non-indexed format supporting
> transparency out there on the web. I do not think that filesize is
> that important for non-web formats.

Well, the web isn't really using RGBA PNG, it's only been around for
a few years, and standards take longer than one remembers to become
universal. Microsoft IE is working very hard to prevent PNG from
gaining acceptance (*) and Mozilla doesn't have working Adam7, let
alone transparency.

I think this is a general problem, to be solved by Gimp itself, or in
libgimp, and I'll stick by that opinion. It is not solely file size
at issue - users can be caught out by the "hidden past" in their
exported images. A wave of the "UnErase" brush reveals all.

(*) PNG bug reports from 4.0 are still not fixed on any platform, and
indeed further regressions have been reported in IE 4.5, and 5.0 on
Windows 9x/ NT. Accident? I don't think so.

Nick.

----- End forwarded message -----