Re: Gimp Wishes (i18n and jpeg)

On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 05:24:37PM +0200, Stanislav Brabec <utx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Saving in higher quality means vaste of disk space. Saving with less quality
> will cause loss of quality. So the best is to save certain jpeg in the same
> quality all times.

You got it wrong: saving a jpeg in ANY quality (higher or lower) causes loss
of quality. Saving in the same quality as the original image causes quality
loss depending on the selected quality.

As I said, the only effect is a similar(!) file size, and that every save
would cause about the same amount of quality loss.

Jpeg is lossy, in whatever quality you save your files. If you save your
file in 75% percent, load it again, and cycle you will loose quality
_every_ time you save, not just the first time.

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /       pcg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx |e|