Re: single-instance gimp?

Hi there,

On Thu, Mar 30, 2000 at 01:19:44AM +0200, Michael Natterer wrote:
> > > Is it possible to set up gimp such that typing 'gimp foo.xcf' on the
> > > commandline will just open foo.xcf in a currently running Gimp
> > > session?  I've seen no documentation on this anyhere.
> > It's been able to do this since at least 1.0 IIRC.  Is it not working for
> > you?
> I'm afraind this is working for nobody since the feature simply doesn't
> exist. However I 100% agree that Gimp needs it. I'd even vote for adding
> it before 1.2 if anyone hacks it.
I would also appreciate that feature! Though one should beable to
disable it e.g. by command line switch.

> The netscape method of communicating over the X protocol seems a bit
> overkill to me.
Not at all. To me, it looks like the only sensible solution.

> I was thinking of a Gimp extension "gimp-server" or something which would
> open a Unix pipe
>
> ${gimp_dir}/tmp/gimp_remote.<gimp_pid>
>
> with the permissions of the current user (or configurable) and
> a "gimp-remote" standalone program.
You cannot have a Unix-Pipe in AFS IIRC! Unix-Pipes are for /tmp only
which would break distributed environments (at my university, I
regularly ssh into compute servers and even use gimp remotely)

> The pipe protocol could be as trivial as sending a plaintext string like
>
> gimp_file_open "~/foo.xcf"\n
>
> over the pipe.
Why not take the netscape approach? There is some example source out
there and though I haven't looked at it, it should be easy to adopt
this.

Bye, Tino.

--
             * LINUX - Where do you want to be tomorrow? *