Re: running ldconfig

On Wed, Mar 08, 2000 at 07:23:49AM -0500, Robert L Krawitz <rlk@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>    1. libtool should make sure that the libraries are found anyway (unless
>       moved). ld.so.cache is only that, a cache
>
> Well, then gimp.m4 does the wrong thing, since after I install a new
> version of the Gimp I can't use gimp.m4 within autoconf to test for

Ah, now I see the problem. Hmm... I guess shared libraries are still
largely unexplored for the many ways to do it "right" :(

> the presence of the Gimp.  It's considerably more than "just a cache";
> it controls how runtime dynamic linking takes place.

On _some_ systems, like linux. Many systems do not even have the notion of
ldconfig.

>    2. only root can run ldconfig (without errors, that is)
>
> And make install normally installs software into areas that can only
> be installed into by root.

It is an absolute must, however, that even normal users can install the gimp
(remember the long thread on this subject?)

>    3. not all systems have ldconfig or the same concept of shared libraries
>       as linux (elf or not...)
>
> Like I said: this should be run as part of the installation procedure
> "on Elf-based systems, at any rate".

But "Elf" and "ldconfig" are not too related to each other.

However, the solution is easy: somebody who wants it should write the
necessary autoconf and makefile magic to detect wether ldconfig exists and
(at installation time) wether it should be run (uid == 0 is a good hint).
      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /       pcg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx |e|