Re: Suggestion: disabling Perl-Fu installation if Gtk-Perl is not present

On Wed, Mar 08, 2000 at 01:07:52PM +0100, Raphael Quinet wrote:
> This has been suggested before, but I would like to bring it up
> again...  I think that it would be better to disable the installation
> of all Perl-Fu scripts if any of the required modules (Gtk, PDL,
> Data::Dumper, Parse::RecDescent) are not detected by the configure
> script or, more exactly, by Makefile.PL.

Parse::RecDescent is used only by the script-fu to perl-fu converter,
AFIAK.  I get Data::Dumper installed as part of perl-base.  If there's
a perl distro without that, it probably won't be terribly useful for
developing perl based scripts (guessing).  In any case, if
Parse::RecDescent is affecting running of any plug-ins, I'd call that
a bug.

As far as PDL and Gtk goes, I'm in agreement that it shouldn't
install those scripts with those dependencies uless those packages are
detected.  gimptool should be able to install them later for users
wishing to upgrade later - its the way everything else in gimp works.

> perlotine: the gtk perl module is required to open a dialog
> window, running with default values (perl_fu_perlotine)
> perlotine: No horizontal or vertical guides found. Aborted. at /usr/lib/gimp/1.1/plug-ins/perlotine line 176. (ERROR)

This error anyway is legit - you need guides to run perlotine!  It would
tell you so in a dialog box, but its not availble for lack of Gtk.  In
this case, I think the commandline is pretty clear.

Were the color related PDB errors pre or post Gimp-Edit-Fill changes?

Seth Burgess
sjburges@xxxxxxxx