Re: What should I change in Script-Fu scripts?

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Glyph Lefkowitz <glyph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Why are you bothering to change this behavior (edit/fill) when it makes
> sense to 1/2 of the people who use GIMP, it's a historical precedent in
> terms of the UI, and it's a huge amount of work to get to function
> correctly?  Are there not enough bugs in the gimp that need to be
> fixed that more twiddling like this needs to be done?

The "fill with background" behaviour is a historical precedent in
terms of the _Gimp_ UI.  But most of the other programs that I tried
are using the foreground color.  So although some of the old users who
use Ctrl-. frequently might be confused if the Gimp starts to behave
like other programs, this should be a good thing for most of the new
users.  Besides, why should we have a Fill Tool that fills with the
foreground color by default and an Edit->Fill menu that fills with the
background color?  Even if we end up making this option configurable,
I would like the defaults to be consistent.

Regarding the "huge amount of work", I would say that this is a
tedious task but it is not hard to get it to function correctly.  On
the other hand, this allowed me to see that some scripts had a number
of bugs that had not been reported yet: for example the "3D Truchet"
script does not restore the colors correctly upon exit.  Another
script (I forgot which one) creates a layer, fills it with the current
color, and then "forgets" to use it in the image.

On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, Sven Neumann <neumanns@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Sven, thanks for clearing that up.
>
> Well, it's not yet cleared up since we'll first have to agree if we want
> to change the Edit->Fill behaviour globally or not.

My 0.02 Euro: I would like to change the Edit->Fill behaviour globally
and at the same time provide a three-lines script (or code in the
core) that would register itself as "Edit->Fill with BG" and would
swap the colors, call gimp-edit-fill and restore the colors again.  So
those who prefer the current behaviour could bind Ctrl-. to it.

-Raphael