Re: What should I change in Script-Fu scripts?

Hi,

> A1) Do not change anything in these calls to gimp-edit-fill, which
>     means that these scripts would now create a background layer
>     that is filled with the current foreground color.
> A2) Keep the current behavior by adding something like
>     (gimp-palette-set-foreground (car (gimp-palette-get-background)))
>     before filling the layer, or by changing the layer creation mode
>     so that it is directly created with the current background color
>     instead of being created transparent and then filled later.
> A3) Add a new parameter ("background color") to the script so that it
>     uses the value specified in the dialog box instead of using the
>     current colors.

A3. If you have to do something like A2, please remember to reset the
colors you changed when the script is done.

> B1) Leave the scripts as they are now, even if there are some
>     inconsistencies.
> B2) Add a "flatten image?" option in all scripts, with the default
>     value set to TRUE.
> B3) Add a "flatten image?" option in all scripts, with the default
>     value set to FALSE.
> B4) Remove all calls to gimp-image-flatten as well as the option to
>     flatten the image in the scripts that already have it, because it
>     is not so important to have this option anymore.  In previous
>     versions of the Gimp, it was useful for the scripts to flatten the
>     image so that the users would not have to remember to do it (and
>     risk loosing part of their work) before saving the result as a GIF
>     or JPEG image.  But the current version will automatically ask if
>     the image has to be flattened before saving it, so the risk of
>     saving the wrong layer and loosing some data is greatly reduced.
>     So maybe we could remove the flatten option from the scripts?

B2 or B3. I'm not sure if Flatten=TRUE is a reasonable default. Why hide
the beauty of layers and masks?

> C1) Leave all scripts as they are.  Diversity is fun.  Besides, who
>     am I to decide what the default text should be?  Each author has
>     the right to decide what is best.
> C2) Change all logo scripts to use "The Gimp" as the default text (or
>     only "GIMP" for those such as "Alien Glow" that look better in all
>     caps).
> C3) Change all scripts to use their name (or a part of it) as the
>     default text.
> C4) Change all scripts to use "Moo!".
> C5) Or maybe "SCRIPT-FU" as in the "Basic II" script?

C1. I don't see why you would want to change the default text the
script author has choosen. Using the same string all over the place
doesn't give any real advantage.

> And finally, some scripts such as "Carved" or "Textured" are using a
> background texture that cannot be easily extended if the logo has to
> be integrated in a larger image.  So you have to take the background
> as it is, or do a lot of hand-editing if you want the background
> texture to cover a larger area.  Although this is a new feature, I was
> thinking about adding a "padding" option to some of these scripts.
> This would allow you to specify some extra padding around the text, so
> that you could have a larger background if necessary.  Do you think
> that I should:
>
> D1) Forget this idea and leave the scripts as they are.
> D2) Add a "padding" parameter to these scripts, so that it is possible
>     to specify a number of padding pixels around the text.

D2. If it works, go for it.

Salut, Sven