Sample Colorize [Was: Re: Buggy plugins]

Tuomas Kuosmanen wrote:
 > Martin Weber wrote:

> > sample colorize plugin:
> > when starting this plugin you get:
> > Gtk-CRITICAL: file gtkwidget.c: line 3313 (gtk_widget_set_sensitive):
> > assertion 'widget!=NULL' failed.
>
> I have no idea what this plugin is supposed to do? It doesnt seem to work
> like I expect (to colorize a image based on colors of another, right?)

I was wondering too and looked at it, finding it broken in a few
trivial ways (details coming soon to a ChangeLog Near You!)

Input:  1.  a desaturated RGB image
        2a. a gradient OR
        2b. an image with some saturated colors; it derives a gradient
            from such an image.

What it does:

Lets say the gradient (2a|b. however derived) ranges from red to cyan with
grey in the middle range.

The plugin colorizes the desaturated image in accordance with the gradient,
so:

1. The shadows of the desaturated image colorize red
2. The midtones of the desaturated image colorize gray (which is not much at all ;)
3. The highlights of the desaturated image colorize cyan

There are Image/Color/Level controls so mapping is not exactly linear
and a few other toys that noisify the mapping that one can play with;
these will be functioning when I commit the fixes (tomorrow, I think).

Personally, I think similiar tricks may be pulled fully in the confines
of the Curve tool, but as Marc pointed out, not everyone is a copy of me
(or is it 'a copy of Daniel Egger'? I forget ... ;), so some people
may find this plug-in to be lots and lots of fun.

Be good, be well

Garry Osgood