Re: Re: Some UI inconsistencies and a patch....

On Sat, Feb 05, 2000 at 12:53:56AM +0100, "Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero" <famrom@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> At home 3 of 3 read text better than understand icons. Dunno way, but that
> is the fact (rare family?).

No. Text has much higher information bandwidth than icons for "skilled
people". The conditions are:

a) one can read silent and quickly (i.e. without repeating the words
   they read in their mind). Most computer users are of that type.
b) one is trained in the language (that's why icons are more often found
   at public places like airports)
c) one is trained with the environment (i.e. no absolute gimp beginner)

> >Take, for example, the gimp toolbox. Manye of the icons look almost the
> Yes! True, and sometimes by trial and error, or shortcut (faster and never
> fails).

Thank godness we have undo ;-> However, you cannot put text there, unless
we use a more horizontal design. (Please: I do not advocate changing these
icons by text!!).

> Should we start one? How? I can post all things I now about users, but we
> could do something better, I guess.

If you want to do some faq-like "style-guide" (with emphasize on how
general ui design techniques are applied to the gimp ;*) I'll edit it and
publish it in the docs section on sourceforge.

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /       pcg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx |e|