Re: config.guess failure

Marc;

On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 10:39:10PM +0100, Marc Lehmann wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 03:05:30PM -0500, Tom Rathborne <tomr@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > This is probably a generic automake/pgcc problem, but it's
> > exhibiting itself with the GIMP first, so here it is:
>
> Slow, slow... _what_ is breaking? What are you compiling?

GIMP CVS, and config.guess - from GIMP CVS - failed.

> > my ld supported emulations. I'm using pgcc 2.95.3, and ld is:
> >     GNU ld version 2.9.5 (with BFD 2.9.5.0.24)
> > The relevant line from ld's output output is:
> >     ld: supported emulations: elf_i386 i386linux
>
> I have:
>
> cerebro:~/src/Gimp# ld --version
> GNU ld 2.9.5
> This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
> the GNU General Public License.  This program has absolutely no warranty.
>   Supported emulations:
>    elf_i386
>    i386linux
>    i386go32
>    elf32ppclinux
>    elf32ppc
>    elf64alpha
>    alpha

Woo, how thorough of you.

> > It seems that config.guess only checks the _first_ listed
> > emulation,
>
> which config.guess. From gimp?

Yes.

[tomr@yoyo /tmp/gimp]$ for i in `locate config.guess`; do $i; done
i686-pc-linux-gnu
i686-pc-linux-gnu
i686-pc-linux-gnu
i686-pc-linux-gnu

> cerebro:~/cvs/gnome/gimp# ./config.guess
> i686-pc-linux-gnu
>
> works for me..

Dammit. Works for me too, _now_. I have no idea why it suddenly works.
All I can think of is that my install/deinstall of the binutils RPM
fixed something... perhaps I had an ld symlink in the wrong place.

> > elf_i386)
> >     echo "${UNAME_MACHINE}-pc-linux-gnuaout"
> >     exit 0
> >     ;;
> >
> > Am I doing something wrong - other than using bleeding-edge pgcc and
>
> Well, elf_i386 and a.out definitely do not go together.
>
> Do you have an a.out-based system??

No, I don't. Silly me. It just looked like the closest match.

I'm not sure why it just started working, but I will be sure to look a
little closer and give a more thorough bug report if it happens again.

Thank you for your patience.

Now back to your regularly-scheduled GIMP-related noise :)

Tom

--
--    Tom Rathborne    tomr@xxxxxxxxxxxx
--                     http://www.aceldama.com/~tomr/