Re: punctuation & non-breakable spaces (Was: The Gimp: New Generation)

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, David Monniaux <David.Monniaux@xxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
> I know it might sound clumsy, but isn't it possible to do the following:
> after text has been broken into lines, replace all non-breakable spaces
> with normal spaces? Maybe in Gtk?

Well, although it is a kludge, I like it.  I think that it would be a
good idea to implement this in Gtk (and if possible, in the 1.2.x
branch).  It would not be hard to do: replace all 0xA0 bytes with the
normal space character 0x20 before drawing the text string.

If we want Gtk to be smart and avoid the (very small) performance
penalty of doing these replacements, we could of course make this
optional although I am not sure that it would be worth the hassle.

Then we would have an ideal system in which the French translators
(and probably other languages as well) could use the non-breakable
space in the translations that require a space before punctuation
marks ("?: ", "??", "?!") while still being sure that everything
would be displayed correctly on all systems.

-Raphael

P.S.: And I know how annoying it is to use the non-breakable spaces
      under Solaris.  While I am typing this message, the text is
      displayed correctly Emacs but not in XTerm or in other
      applications.  Yuck!