Re: Print plug-in

In regard to: Re: Print plug-in, Michael J. Hammel said (at 9:55pm on Jan...:

>GNOME-enabled is one thing.  GNOME-dependent is another.  Requiring GNOME
>libs on non Linux platforms may not be appreciated.  If GNOME dependency is
>added, a determination on the difficulty on getting GNOME libs on non-Linux
>platforms has to be made.  Since I don't currently use GNOME (I don't
>happen to need the added functionality that it currently offers) I don't
>know much about how portable it's become.  But GTK and Gimp, at least, run
>on lots of platforms.  Maybe that means GNOME is also fairly portable.

I've dabbled with building a lot of the gnome components on half a dozen
different Unix variants, all with the vendor compiler (for added fun :-) ).
gnome-libs has become relatively portable.  Every point release generally
includes a couple trouble spots (new instances of C++ comments or other
stuff that gcc passes that most other compilers object to), but for the most
part it's quite good.

The big problem is ORBit, which gnome-libs and hence all of gnome requires.
There are a number of dodgy areas and portability problems with it.  Getting
it to build on a non-Linux system is possible, but not trivial.   I would
imagine the "casual compiler" would just give up as soon as they hit ORBit.

>> I suppose we might conclude that vendors will ship only KDE, in which
>> case maybe those wacky Qt people will show up again and threaten to
>> code a replacement Kim*g*sh*p if we won't re-write Gimp in C++ :)
>
>The world doesn't live just on Linux.  Gimp runs on other platforms.

Amen.  :-)

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Room 242-J1, IACC Building              (701) 231-8541 (Fax)