Re: Thanks (Re: Gimp splash images)

>>   > Glyph, I have to say that my sentiments are just the opposite of
>>   > yours.  Although the latest splash (with the brush) is nice and
>>   > traditional looking, I find it has little identity and little
>>   > character.  On the other hand I feel that the balloon splash captures
>>   > the mood and the spirit of the GIMP.  I don't know how to express it
>>   > exactly, but to me the balloon says that the GIMP is out of this
>>   > world, it follows the alternate path, it allows you to dream not only
>>   > of what is...but of what may never be.  The brush is just a brush.

>>   Well, that's very poetically phrased.

Thanks 8^)

>>   Whichever way we go, let's not
>>   compromise. The brush hanging out of the balloon would ruin the whole
>>   thing...

I agree.  Sometimes the middle way makes no sense.

>>   Personally, I think that GIMP has many faces, the 'go beyond' aspect
>>   definitely being one of them which the baloon captures, but the brush also
>>   embodies a certain professionalism and dedication to quality.

True.

>>   GIMP and GTK really brought free UNIX up to par with commercial operating
>>   systems.  It is the 'killer app' -- Linux's visicalc.  It also allows for
>>   production of really *good* pictures.

Very true!

>>   The random-splash-screen idea is a good one, perhaps with a few more of
>>   the interim splashes. Let's not include 'Oh, the humanity!' though, okay?
>>   :-)

Don't you think, though, that it would be good if the GIMP had an
identity?  I think the marketing types call it something like
"branding"...an image that when folks see it they say, "oh yeah,
that's the GIMP".  If the splash is always changing, I think it will
just lead to identity confusion.  For this reason, I'd prefer the
brush over the random-splash-screen idea.

But I still prefer the balloon over the brush ;-)

Best regards,

Carey