Re: Triage! (was Re: [gimpwin-users] PNG blank display bug)

On Tue, Jan 11, 2000 at 06:15:11PM +0100, Raphael Quinet wrote:
> So maybe what we need is a new option in the gimprc, something like:
>   make-error-console-visible-on-first-g-message-and-leave-it-open
> If you set that to true, then the error console would do what you were
> expecting.  Or did I misunderstand this discussion?
>
> Now if only all errors, debug messages and so on could use g_message()
> instead of printf() (in some plug-ins), then everything would be
> perfect...

Mmmm, well that was part of my sort of half-thought-through expectations,
we should see a lot MORE messages in a thing like the Error Console
because we don't have to click "OK" for every single message...

e.g. In the PNG plug-in, if I knew I was talking to the console, I
would feel happy to report blow-by-blow CRC errors which may occur
a few dozen times in a single (corrupted) file. However as a user I
don't want twelve OK buttons to hit if I haven't got the console :)

As it is, some PNG errors are reported to stderr, which is probably
not useful to anyone (but it's default libpng behaviour so I have
never gotten around to turning it off) and all fatal errors are
reported via one or two general purpose g_message-type calls.

Nick.