Re: [gimp-devel] Re: Feature wanted

On Tue, Dec 21, 1999 at 11:06:05AM +0100, Marc Lehmann wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 21, 1999 at 10:56:28AM +0100, "Paul E.C. Melis"
> <melis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Default for images could then be that there's no specific active
> > tool, while you could still select one (and make it active) later,
> > if you want.
>
> > I don't see how you could dislike this.
>
> I dislike it because it does not say how this is accomplished. Do I
> have a toggle for each tool, for each image, or?

For each tool I would think.

> > be changed, and if you would like an active tool at some point,
> > just make one active.
>
> Yes, but how is this done?

If I may butt in here for a moment?

  How about context menus for tools in the toolbox? (Are there already
context menus for them in 1.1?) Pop it up, and select from `Stick Tool
to Active Image,' `Activate Tool for all Images,' amongst other
possible entries. Or call the sticky entry `Activate for Active Image
Only,' for more direct contrast to the alternative choice, but this
sounds more cumbersome.  Maybe someone can come up with better entry
titles. (How to get to the context menu is another UI issue, but
nothing that can't be settled methinks. Right-click, anyone? Or is
that one already taken? I didn't follow the recent lengthy modifier
debates very closely...)

Just a thought.

  Oh, and make another entry `Force Tool for all Images,' which is
only active if the user has `stuck' a tool to at least one image. The
difference to `Activate for all' would be that the latter doesn't
override individual tools stuck to single images, while the former
does. Kinda like any -f switch you've ever seen. ;-)

  I actually think this would be pretty intuitive, but then I'm used
to the -f-switch-idiom.

Ok, two thoughts.

And:

I might be hallucinating, I just got home from 24 hours of work...

(That's three thoughts now)

Cheers, Tilman
--
`Boy, life takes a long time to live...'      -- Steven Wright