Re: Ridiculous dependancies for a *HELP BROWSER*

Hi,

> Guys, I strongly suggest that libgtkxmhtml *NOT* be used for
> the help browser.

Please, not again. Here´s what I think was the result of the latest thread on
this subject:

The helpbrowser will stay as it is (using GtkXmHtml) as long as there´s no
useable alternative. As soon as a better, less depending, small and fast
html-widget is there, we´ll consider porting the helpbrowser to that
interface.

The help-system will in its final state give the choice to use whatever
HTML-Browser the user prefers as long as it provides an interface similar to
"netscape -remote". The necessary changes to the Help system will appear as
soon as Mitch, me or someone else finds the time to do them.

For the problem of packaging The GIMP I´d suggest to create a seperate
gimp-gnome package that contains the help-browser and the gimp.desktop file
so that the main package can be installed w/o the dependency on gnome.

> Is there any alternative? I've heard talk of a non-GNOME-based
> gtkxmhtml, but I don't know anything about it.

The gtkhtml package looked promising at the first look, but it appears to really depend deeply on GNOME, while the only thing that makes gtkxmhtml a gnome-thing is that it comes bundled with gnome (but does not make use of any gnome-specific features). Thus an alternative would be to release a gtkxmhtml package and put it up on ftp.gimp.org.

Salut, Sven