Re: Tons of useless translations???

On Thu, 25 Nov 1999, Marc Lehmann wrote:

> > Still, nothing is different!  However,
> >
> > [glyph@helix ~]$ ls -al /opt/gimp/share/locale/
>
> Ok... have you compiled gimp yourself to this location? If yes, maybe gimp
> errornously installs its locale files somewhere else (and doesn'T find it
> anymore).

Yes.  My install procedure goes something like this:

./configure --prefix=/opt/gimp --disable-perl
make
su -c "rm -rf /opt/gimp; mkdir /opt/gimp; chown glyph /opt/gimp"
make install
su -c "chown root /opt/gimp -R"

(also this option-to-GCC message frequently appears during the compile:
-DLOCALEDIR=\""/opt/gimp/share/locale"\"
I think that indicates it thinks that's where the locale files should
be...)

I don't think it could install them anywhere else ... also, 'locate
gimp.mo' yeilds nothing.

Some discussion on this list has referred to the LINGUAS variable as
having something to do with installation of translations, so I tried
re[configur|mak|install]ing with LINGUAS set to fr_FR.  Nothing happens
here.  At least, there are no translations installed.

> > Is there something I need to do to get gimp to be localized?  Thanks,
>
> In theory (and in pratcise on my machine) all you need to do is "LANG=fr
> gimp". This also happens to work on many machines, but it also does not
> work on many others.
>
> What does gettext --version (and locale --version) say on your system?

$ gettext --version
gettext (GNU gettext) 0.10.35
Copyright C 1995, 1996, 1997 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
Ce progiciel est libre.  Consulter les sources pour plus de dtail sur
les permissions de copie.  Il est distribu SANS AUCUNE GARANTIE
de QUALIT LOYALE ET MARCHANDE ou d'ADQUATION POUR UN BUT PARTICULIER.
crit par Ulrich Drepper.

(Apologies for the lack of accented characters.  PINE won't let me type or
paste them...)

$ locale --version
locale (GNU libc) 2.1.2
[same message as above]

The bug for me is just that I can't get the translations installed though
... is there a 'manual' way to do this?