Re: Tons of useless translations???

On Fri, Nov 26, 1999 at 01:03:08AM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:
> And, yes I can reproduce this on a set of different machines. There's no
> need to question Marc's statement...

The only statement of Marc's that I'm questioning is the one where he
blames Linux vendors for a problem that's only happening on SOME users
of SOME combinations of Gimp version/ OS/ glibc/ whatever. I don't
even think Marc is terribly serious about it, because he is venting
a natural level of frustration with such an obnoxious yet difficult to
track down bug. IMHO when it's finally traced we are NOT going to see
an errata for SuSE, RedHat, Mandrake, Debian etc. but instead either
a Gimp bug, or another "Please don't do stupid thing FOO" entry for a
future Gimp developer FAQ

I'm really NOT a god-like hacker, and I don't care much about i18n,
yet it is working fine for me on an almost-fresh RH 6.1 install. So
I just don't buy the "Linux vendors have conspired to screw up I18N"
scenario, and I don't want to let them become a scapegoat. Those of
you who are affected are MUCH better equipped to track down the bug
than those of us who are unaffected (like Marc and myself).

Nick.