How to add other script language support ?

I realise that this may be considered sacrilege; but I am interested in
adding the ability to write gimp scripts in Rexx.  I've spent about a
week looking for documentation on how to go about interfacing to gimp,
but have not come across any documentation explaining interfacing to
gimp via a C or C++ API.

I'm not clear on whether the interface would be done via Gtk, the PDB
or via some other interface.

Any pointers on what documentation is available and where it is would
be appreciated.

Cheers, Mark.