Re: the Gimp 1.2... when could be ready?

On Tue, Nov 16, 1999 at 08:43:59PM +0100, Daniele Medri wrote:
> Hi,
> i just ask myself when 1.2 could be ready.
> I stopped the Italian translation after the announce of plugins-i18n
> compatible and other raisons.
> When the develop could be ready for the official release i think that all
> the people that work on translation could start to complete the job. Not
> before.. not later ;)

I would recommend that you wait for the feature freeze. You will know
that the feature freeze has occurred when someone's feature is reverted
rather than "just sneaking through". Posts to this list announcing a
freeze are about as effective as pooring a pint of cold water into a
boiling bath.

In case the "what is a freeze" debate is still unclear to some people,
take Sven's 9 November changes:

Most of his changes are bug fixes, such as the memleaks, while some are
more borderline but the outstanding entry is Rene's fileops patch. It
adds one more untested feature to Gimp. While he's at it Sven fixes some
memleaks, but now the two changes are intertwined :(

When someone finds a bug in Rene's code in a month's time, we must waste
time to fix the bug, which need never have been added :(

NB I'm not picking on Sven here, but this is not a laughing matter. It
is patently obvious that some developers would prefer never to release
a stable Gimp, but we have stuff in 1.2 which users were crying out for
at Christmas last year, how much longer must they wait?

Nick.