Re: Help System

On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Tristan Tarrant <ttarrant@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Zach Beane - MINT wrote:
> > > The GIMP should really use the GNOME help browser instead of
> > > reinventing the wheel.
> >
> > Will it be possible to get just the wheel without the rest of the car?
>
> Maybe I'm not the right person to say this, but WTF...
> What is the matter with the GIMP developers ? What is this adversion to
> GNOME ?

Quite right.  And to paraphrase what I wrote in a previous message,
there is nothing wrong in having an _optional_ dependency on GNOME
just like we have an _optional_ dependency on Gtk-Perl and other
Perl stuff.

The best solution IMHO would be to use the GNOME help browser if it is
available and to revert to a standard web browser if the GNOME libs
are not installed.  This would allow the GIMP to benefit from whatever
nice features the GNOME help browser might have in the future, while
still allowing GNOME-less people to look at the help files in Netscape
or Opera or Lynx or ...

-Raphael