Re: Help System

On Die, 02 Nov 1999 wrote the famous Sven Neumann:
>Hi,
>
>> Except it doesn't seem to work on systems without GtkXmHTML installed.  I
>> don't have that on my systems Would it be possible for the build to recognize
>> this and remove the Help option from the File menu?  The current dialog that
>> pops in these cases (no GtkXmHTML) is fairly confusing to those who aren't
>> developers.
>>
>> Is GtkXmHTML a GNOME only thing now?  Can it be pulled from there either
>> into the Gimp or (better) into GTK?
>
>Yes, it could be copied out of gnome-libs into The GIMP, but I'm not absolutely
>happy with this solution. A lot of our users will have gnome-libs (you don't
>need the core!!) installed anyway and GtkXmHTML will enlarge the GIMP
>distribution even more.
>
>But having the help system installed everywhere is very important, so what I'd
>propose is distributing GtkXmHTML as a seperate package. Any automake/autoconf
>gurus out there that want to take the job ??

Consider that GtkXmHTML cannot be compiled on linux libc5 systems (or generally
systems without thread support) because it needs the threaded version of
strok() strtok_r().  The latter one is new in glibc2 (aka libc6) an for the
gnome system it is doubled in gnomesupport.  So to make GtkXmHTML compile on
systems without strtok_r() and without gnomesupport, we have to make our own
copy of this function.  Maybe it is necessary to patch the gtkxmhtml-Source to
avoid the use of strtok_r() on systems without thread support.

An easy solution for the guis that habe gnome installed ist to add
`-lgnomesupport' to GTKXMHTML_LIB in plug-ins/helpbrowser/Makefile

>Salut, Sven

Uwe

--
mailto:koloska@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx