Re: Re: Tile Cache Size

>This is not necissarily true. The System-Swap routine is optimized for
>arbitrary data. Gimp organizes its image-data in tiles and may perform
>better in swapping those tiles, since they are a very special data-structure.

Nor false.

>So the swapping routines could be optimized specially for those data
>(I have no idea if this is done currently) and perform better than the
>systems routine.

Yes, but Gimp swaps to files, while system normally swaps to partition, and
if the admin is smart, to a fast disk which main (unique?) task is swapping,
maybe even sharing swap among a group of disks. Kernels swap is optimized (I
hope it is, otherwise... argh!), we dunno about Gimp.

This is more a per-site than theoric thing, I know. In the machines I used,
the best was to use kernel fuctions instead of Gimp (specially if it fills
your home dir up to quota limit).

Is there a way to get a valid performance measurement?

>The NFS problem should be adressed. Can we detect somehow if the
>configured swap-directory is a NFS-Direcrtory and issue a warning?

Via mount command. I think all Unix can do that.

GSR