Re: limited slider range

On Thu, Oct 28, 1999 at 12:38:34AM +0100, Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero wrote:
> >I know I'm repeating myself, but why not use _both_? In the case of
> >the opacity slider, the number is displayed right beside it. Making
> >this number a spinbutton would not take up very much more screen real
> >estate and it would allow everyone to work with the value in the
> >manner they prefer.
>
> And will make 50% a real 50% and not vary with the size of the slider making
> it 49.7 most of times (just an example, maybe typical is 49.9).

Though in gimp tool options it is usually much more about adjusting a
value based on the visual appearance of the image (like layer opacity)
and not a precise value.. Certain sliders could go even without a label
and you could still use them just fine..

> >I'd like to see more slider/spinbox combinations in the GIMP. The
> >slider is great for figuring out the correct value but being able
> >to tune it by typing in a number is essential for precision work.
>
> Maybe right click slider to launch a dialog where you input precise numbers?
> by keyboard It also could show max and min values, or recommended values.
> The number is there in most of the sliders, so I see no serious problem
> about space: click number, dialog appears. Or convert number to input area.

Not a dialog IMHO, the dialog is always an evil extra step. Rather the
convert-the-value-to-input - though it should just be an input already..

Tuomas

--

.---( t i g e r t @ g i m p . o r g )---.
| some stuff at http://tigert.gimp.org/ |