Re: TS2KSendInfo: One question...

On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, Kelly Lynn Martin wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Oct 1999 09:40:21 +1000, Total Software 2000 <abxyz@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:
>
> >At 02:07 PM 4/10/1999 -0500, you wrote:
> >>Do you include the source to the Gimp with this CD?
>
> >No the source code is not included.
>
> You are hereby requested and required to cease all distribution of
> this product.  Failure to comply may result in substantial civil
> penalties for copyright infringement.
>
> I am a co-owner of the copyright in the Gimp.  The GPL, which is the
> license which you are required to comply with if you wish to
> distribute the Gimp, requires that you distribute the source along with
> it.

Please reread the GPL (see section 3 in particular). You've misunderstood
it - they are not required to distribute the source along with it - they
can either include the source (section 3a) or a written offer to provide
the source (section 3b). If they don't do either, I believe they are
then in violation, but I am not a lawyer.

later,
Andrew