Re: gimp devel

>>wouln t it be better to have a toolbar menu for the image window instead of a
>>"tree menu" ... ?
>no.

Do not be so radical, Tigert, better:
No, thanks. ;]

Now, seriously: why should we have a menu bar? That kind of ideas must have
an explanation, something to back them. Not just "I would like a permanent
horizontal menu, instead of the current one (right click or click arrow)".
That is what you mean, no? Traditional menu, instead of current method.

I think that the reason to not change it is that is faster (maybe not
intuitive, I admit that) and save a lot of space. After watching some
Windows and Mac screens with the lastest software, I think that X is
becoming the screen conservative guy latelly, you can minimize a lot of
things (shadow window, not icon), change virtual screens on the fly, detach
menus, define how your windows behave, fine tune animation effects and a lot
of other things that are impossible or at least rare in other OS' GUIs.

I work faster in X environment than in others, I have heard that do not look
intuitive (menus that appear from nowhere or lot of keybindings) or even
ugly (no animations), but the work is done.

So if you still like the idea of a big menu bar wasting space, please give
good reasons (more than one, please, but I think the idea will not be heard,
lot of mails have been with that theme, and the menu keeps in the original
shape). That is the first thing to do when propossing things (code a patch
to do that, then maybe the idea will go in, but remember to make it user
selectable).

GSR