The Gimp is wasting a lot of memory

   Hi,

  I'm using The Gimp 1.1.8 and since you'll going to a feature freeze soon,
I guess it's time for reporting bugs.

  Strictly speaking, it's not really a bug but here it is :

  I start The Gimp,
    Create a New image 256x256,
    Stroke a few (like 10 or 20) lines with the default brush with the
                                   pencil tool,
    Close the Image
    Quit the Gimp

  For this very small session, the report says that 58 Megabytes were used:
GLib-INFO: 26 allocations of 6400 bytes
GLib-INFO: 6 allocations of 7500 bytes
GLib-INFO: 4976 allocations of greater than 8191 bytes
GLib-INFO: 58650649 bytes allocated
GLib-INFO: 57475801 bytes freed
GLib-INFO: 1174848 bytes in use

I only use 4 levels of Undo.

And according to 'top', each new stroke to the image makes the Gimp's memory
footprint grows. I don't think this should be that way.

The funny thing is that all this amount of memory isn't a leakage since
57 Megs were freed.

      Does anyone of you know why such a huge amount is needed to only handle
 a few lines one a somewhat small pictures? To me, it looks like a bug...

         Thanks,

                 DindinX

P.S: By the way, every time I start The Gimp, the console report this warning :
Gdk-CRITICAL **: file gdkpixmap.c: line 63 (gdk_pixmap_new): assertion `(width
!= 0) && (height != 0)' failed.
I'm going to investigate further to see where the gimp tries to creates a
0 width or 0 height pixmap...

--
David.Odin@xxxxxxxxxxx

boy, n: