Curves Tool feature request

Dear Gimpsters:

Since the feature freeze begins in one week I'm taking this
opportunity to lobby for what I consider to be a very important
addition to the GIMP.  The executive summary of the feature is as
follows:

o  The Curves tool should have input and output fields which give the
   numerical position of the mouse when it is in the graphical part of
   the tool.

o  There should also be three fields which give the RGB value of the
   pixel that the mouse is over when it is in the image window.

The Curves tool is the most powerful color correcting tool in
Photoshop (as it is in the GIMP).  For example there is a very good
book by Dan Margulis called "Professional Photoshop" and practically
half the book is on how to used Curves to get top notch color
correction results.  In a nutshell it is amazing what can be done with
a numerical approach to color correction.  The problem with the GIMP
Curves Tool is that the required numbers are difficult to come by.
The rest of this request gets into some of the details of how the
"color correction by the numbers" technique works and proposes some
simple features for the Curves tool that would allow it to do color
correction by the numbers.  Thus, if you have no interest in this
subject there is no need to read any further ;-)

Now for the more involved justification for the request:

The main technique for color correcting with Curves is as follows:

o Measure highlight, shadow, and neutral pixel values in the image
  (i.e., look at the RGB values).  Neutral values are grays such as
  pavement, care tires, etc., Highlights should be white and shadows
  black.

o If grays do not have balanced color, that is R = G = B, then it is
  likely that a color cast exists that needs to be fixed.

o Typically, it is one of the R, G, or B values which is quite
  different from the other two if a color cast exists.  Thus, the
  correction technique is to move the point of the R, G, or B curve
  which is incorrect to a better value.  For example, suppose I measure
  a pixel value which should be gray but from the color picker I see that
  its value is actually R=178, G=203, and B=205.  I can see that a
  little red is missing, that is, the pixel doesn't look quite gray...it
  has a cyan tinge to it.

o To fix the problem in the Curves tool, the value 178 on the red curve
  is moved up to about 204.  Not only does this fix the problem at the
  pixel in question it also pretty much improves the overall look of the
  entire image!  This is because the image had a cyan color cast that
  needed to be corrected.  Only the pixel that should have been gray
  was used to make the correction.

Now there are two main pains with the GIMP in making use of the above
technique.  First, in the Curves tool I have to estimate the place
where I am on a curve and if I move that point I have to estimate
where I've moved it to.  Second, the color picker does not stay open
at the same time as the Curves tool.

Thus, it would be terrific if:

1) Each curve had in input and output box which show the x-y position
of the mouse when it was in a curves box.  In this way a point on a
curve could be very precisely moved to a correcting value.

2) It would be very useful to be able to see the actual numbers
associated with R, G, and B when the mouse was in the image window.
In that way it would be possible to get all sorts of numeric
feadback on highlights, grays, and shadows and it would no longer be
necessary to rely on the color picker tool to get the required
information.  Then in conjunction with the mouse-Shift click option
which adds point to curves when pixels are clicked in the image window
it would be easy to identify input points to be moved.

What do you think?  Would this be easy to implement?  It would
certainly be an important addition to the GIMP since it would add a
really professional color correcting feature that is kind of missing.

Best Regards,

Carey Bunks

Dr. Carey Bunks
Senior Scientist