autogen.sh not finding automake

Where is autogen.sh getting it's information about where automake is?

When I am running "./autogen.sh  …" I get an error message from autogen.sh saying that I must have automake 1.10 or newer installed to compile gimp-help-2. It looks like autogen.sh does not recognize the automake file installed. I think I have to manually insert a path to the autogen file, but where and how?

Automake-1.9.6 installed itself in usr/share. I have not tried with an older version of automake.

I am running this using Cygwin in Windows 10, but perhaps the solution is the same as in Linux. I have tried to update automake from Cygwin and also downloaded the file automake-1.9.6.tar.gz and install it  with "tar -xvzf". Neither of them helped me out.
All works fine on Windows 7 with automake -1.14.

Hoping for help as I am not able to translate GIMP using my main computer.
Kolbjørn

---
Denne e-posten har blitt sjekket for virus av antivirusprogramvare fra Avast