Re: OT: experimenting with docbook-xml

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 07:58:18PM +0200, Ulf-D. Ehlert wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 03:18:14AM +0200, Marco Ciampa wrote:
> > Since I want to understand a bit more about the gimp build sistem
> > I am trying to do the things by hand.
> >
> > I do not know automake/autotool so I do not really know how html, for
> > instance, files are created.
> >
> > I copied all xml dir outside gimp tree dir and tried to build html by
> > hand and failed miserably.
> >
> > I do not know docbook-xml either and I now know I was a bit "naive"
> > thinking that a mere
> >
> >  docbook2html it/gimp.xml
> >
> > will suffice.
> >
> > Can anyone help me understand? What I am missing?
>
> A simple way to see what's happening is
>
>         make --dry-run <what_ever> | less

Many thanks! Without your hint I would never thought that --dry-run could
printout the commands (a quick look at the manual page confirmed it but
--- who read the manuals anyway? ;-)

> So in the gimp-help directory try e.g.
>
>         make --dry-run html-en | less
>
> to see how the English html manual is built, while
>
>         make --dry-run html-it | less
>
> will show you how to build a translated manual.

Done, very instructive!

> You will see that the main tool is "xsltproc"; I don't know
> "docbook2html" and can't tell you if (and how) it can be used to
> create html.

xsltproc will suffice, thanks...

a quick look at che stylesheets included ... what a nightmare!

Marco Ciampa